LONDON-The London High Court said on Wednesday that if necessary, it will take steps to provide documents about Prince Andrew of the United Kingdom in a US lawsuit filed by a woman that sexually assaulted her 20 years ago .
Queen Elizabeth’s second son, the Prince, was accused by Virginia Jufrey when she was 17 years old when she said she was abused by the financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew, 61, is officially known as the Duke of York. He refused to accept these allegations. His lawyer said the case was baseless. His legal team declined to comment.
Last week, Giuffre’s legal team stated that they had tried to give the documents to Andrew and to a police officer at his home in southern England. The prince’s lawyer told the U.S. District Court in Manhattan that they had not received proper services under English law and the Hague Convention.
A spokesperson for the London High Court stated that the issue of how to deliver claims to parties in different jurisdictions is governed by the Hague Service Convention, which requires requests to be made and approved by the relevant authorities in each country.
The spokesperson said in a statement: “The lawyer representing Ms. Giuffre has now provided further information to the High Court, which has accepted the service request under the Hague Service Convention.”
“The legal procedures have not been served, but the High Court will now take measures in accordance with the Convention, unless the two parties agree to arrange for service.”
At a hearing in Manhattan on Monday, the prince’s lawyer, Andrew Brettler, said that Jufrey appeared to have signed her right to sue the prince to settle another lawsuit in 2009.
“This is an unfounded, unfeasible, and possibly illegal lawsuit,” Bretler said. “The plaintiff reached a settlement agreement in the previous lawsuit, exempting the Duke and others from any and all potential liabilities.”
Andrew is a former friend of Epstein. Epstein is a registered sex offender. He was in Manhattan prison in August 2019 after the U.S. prosecutor accused him of sexually exploiting dozens of girls and women. Suicide.
After an interview with the BBC in November 2019, the prince resigned from his royal duties, and charities and other organizations kept their distance from him and talked about his relationship with Epstein.
He denied having sex or any relationship with Giuffre. The lawsuit she filed last month alleges that he forced her long-time partner of Epstein and the British socialite, Ghislaine Maxwell, to have unnecessary sexual intercourse at her home in London.
It also stated that Andrew abused Juffrey at Epstein’s mansion on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Epstein’s private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Maxwell pleaded not guilty to the sexual abuse charge she assisted Epstein. She will be tried by U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan in Manhattan on November 29.
The next meeting of the Giuffre lawsuit is scheduled for October 13.