The City Council of Estepona issued a municipal statement regarding the declaration of the Andalusian Government to enter a state of extreme and exceptional drought in the Western Costa del Sol System to which Estepona belongs, where it is indicated that in this which scenario they are. activate water saving plans with the aim of achieving at least a 20% reduction in urban supply (BOJA Number 208 of October 30, 2023).
In general, citizens, as well as those responsible for facilities, public and private, are asked to make responsible, supportive and efficient use of water, check possible leaks and use all possible measures to avoid unnecessary consumption.
In accordance with the Order of October 24, 2023 of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Development of the Junta de Andalucía, as well as the instructions of the Commonwealth of Municipalities of the Western Costa del Sol, the measures that come will be implemented immediately after the publication of this day of this statement in the Notice Board of the Estepona City Council, which refers to the use of water suitable for human consumption, is as follows:
• Prohibition of irrigation in gardens, orchards, pastures, parks or green areas and sports, public or private.
• Prohibition of washing streets, sidewalks or facades, public or private, except those permitted for health reasons.
• Prohibition of filling or refilling private swimming pools.
• Prohibition of showers and public fountains.
• Prohibition of car washing except in authorized establishments with water recycling and recirculation systems.
• Prohibition of ornamental, recreational or sports fountains and lakes, public or private, unless they have a recirculation system.
• Prohibition of using water from hydrants and hydrants without express written authorization from the supplying entity or the City Council, except in cases of fire.
• Sources for human consumption shall be used only for this use, and any other use shall be prohibited.
In this way, to preserve the heritage of trees and flowers and to wash the streets, the City Council of Estepona will use non-potable water.
The Local Police can carry out the tasks of surveillance and control following the established measures and, if necessary, inform the Office of the Mayor of the criminal behavior of this group, which can be given a corresponding fine according to the legality enforced at each moment.
This order begins tomorrow, November 18, and will last until a new order is issued canceling it or the end of the state of drought is declared, and may be extended by new measures if the situation must.
The City Council of Estepona strongly requests all citizens to cooperate in complying with it.