It is known as pear melon The sweet cucumber (Solanum muricatum) is an exotic fruit that has not gained much renown but whose cultivation has taken root in Spain and the Canary Islands and is gradually expanding towards the European continent. It has several properties; for example, it protects us from the risk of a heart attack or reduces the risk of developing colon cancer.
This species originally comes from the Peruvian Andes and has been cultivated there for thousands of years. Although it has favorable production characteristics, its distribution in countries such as New Zealand and Spain is only recently known. The variety of varieties at the place of origin has led to a large variety of fruits in terms of shape, size, and color.
These variants have proven to be adaptable to different climatic conditions and cultivation techniques, thus facilitating their integration into modern agricultural methods. In addition, its relative resistance to pests and diseases simplifies care.
The sweet cucumber or pear melon offers a taste that does not overwhelm the palate but presents itself as a versatile berry that, depending on the variety and degree of ripeness, can be enjoyed as a refreshing fruit or incorporated into salads.
In addition, it is suitable for the preparation of juices, desserts, and more elaborate dishes and offers a subtle sweet nuance similar to melon and a subtle fragrance. Despite this, it lacks acidity, which makes it an ideal accompaniment to cold vegetable salads, fruit salads, grilled meat, and fish dishes, as well as for the preparation of sauces and, of course, as a fresh variant for dessert.
Among its qualities, it stands out for its juiciness and refreshing effect. As a fruit, its taste is pleasant and fresh. The presence of vitamin C is noteworthy, but its content varies depending on the location, environmental conditions, and cultivation method. With a high water content (90%), it is low in calories, protein, and fiber and has a medium mineral content, with potassium being the most prominent.
The properties of pear melon or sweet cucumber
- Its antioxidant properties help fight free radicals and relieve both constipation and heartburn.
- It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Promotes restful sleep, preserves vision health and delays the effects of aging on the eyes.
- It helps lower cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular disease, and also reduces the risk of kidney stones.
- Reduces the risk of developing colon cancer.
- Regulates blood sugar levels and blood pressure, improves bowel function and strengthens the immune system.
- Alleviates the symptoms of bronchitis, colds and flu conditions and provides relief from respiratory problems.