ITZEHOE, Germany – A former secretary of the SS commander at the Stutthaff concentration camp has begun his trial in Germany in connection with more than 11,000 murders. He was picked up a few hours later and remanded in custody.
Court spokesman Frederick Milhaffer said the morning-aged woman left her home near Hamburg in a taxi on Thursday morning, hours before state court proceedings in Itzeho began.
The court issued an arrest warrant and delayed the reading of the accused till the next scheduled hearing on October 19 as it could not be done in the absence of the defendant.
The accused woman had previously “declared that she did not want to appear in court”, but did not provide sufficient grounds to detain him before trial, Milhafer said. Given the woman’s age and condition, she did not expect “active trial to be avoided,” Milhaffer added.
Police found the accused and produced him in court on Thursday afternoon. He is being taken to a detention center, the court statement said.
Prosecutors argue that the woman was part of a device that assisted the Nazis in stuttering camp operations during World War II more than 75 years ago.
Prior to the trial, the court said in a statement that the defendant, in his work as a stenographer and typist in the camp commandant’s office, assisted and persuaded those in charge of the camp in the planned killing of prisoners there between June 1943 and April 1945. ”
Despite her advanced age, the German woman was due to stand trial in juvenile court because she was under 21 at the time of the alleged crime. The German media has identified him as Irmgard Furchner.
“If he’s healthy enough to escape, he’s healthy enough to be in prison,” Ephraim Zurf, a Nazi hunter at the Simon Wiesenthal Center’s office in Jerusalem, told the Associated Press.
He added that his flight would also affect punishment.
The case against Furchener is based on the German legal precedent established over the past decade that anyone who assisted in the activities of the Nazi death camps and concentration camps could be tried as accomplices to the killings, even without evidence of involvement in certain crimes.
Der Spiegel, a defense lawyer, told the magazine that the trial would judge whether the year-old had knowledge of the atrocities that took place in the camp.
“My client worked among SS men who were experienced in violence – but does that mean he shared their state of knowledge? It’s not necessarily clear,” lawyer Wolf Molkentin said.
According to other media reports, Farsner was interrogated as a witness during a past Nazi trial and at the time he said that Paul Warner Hope, a former SS commandant in Stuttford, had written him daily letters and radio messages.
Furchana testified that he was not aware of the killings at the camp while working there, the DPA reported.
A repository for Jewish and non-Jewish poles originally moved from Danzig এখন now the Polish town of Gdansk স্ট Stuttf has been used as a so-called “training camp” since about 1940 where forced laborers, primarily Polish and Soviet citizens, were sent to serve sentences and .
By mid-1944, thousands of Jewish camps had been filled from the Baltics and Auschwitz to Ghetto, including thousands of Polish civilians who had been swept away in the brutal Nazi repression of the Warsaw Uprising.
Others imprisoned there included political prisoners, convicted felons, suspected homosexuals, and Jehovah’s Witnesses.
More than 60,000 people were injected directly into their stomachs with gasoline or phenol, or shot or starved to death. Others are forced to go outside without clothing in the winter until they die in exposure, or are executed in a gas chamber.
By Marcus Schreiber and Kirsten Greischber
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times