- Advertisement -spot_img
Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The French should see the sub-deal being canceled: defense analysts

French authorities, though upset about keeping AUKUS in the dark, should not be surprised by Australia’s decision to cancel a সাব 90 billion (US $ billion5 billion) future submarine program – according to a defense expert who now says the time has come for the government to move forward.

Greg Copley, president of the International Strategic Studies Association, said the tripartite AUKUS agreement between the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom had to be tightened until it was unveiled last month – much to the surprise of many.

“The problem was to maintain the secrecy of this new alliance – which could be controversial – it risked the secession of some other allies, especially France,” he told David Flint, an emeritus professor in the law department, in an episode of Calling Australia.

“Thus, the French were rightly outraged and insulted in a sense at the sudden announcement that the Americans or the British would supply submarines,” he said, noting that AUKUS meant canceling the future submarine program, which was signed off in 2016 by former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

The original plan was to deploy 12 new Barracuda-class nuclear submarines from the French defense contractor Naval Group to the U.S. weapons system on diesel-electric-powered attack-class submarines.

This photo, taken on October 12, 2016, shows a Royal Australian Navy diesel and electric Collins class submarine sitting in Sydney Harbor.
(Via Peter Parks / AFP Getty Images)

Turnbull’s predecessor, Tony Abbott, initially wanted to buy a Soryu-class off-the-shelf submarine from Japan, avoiding the need for Australian industry to build the project.

However, he faced resistance internally from teammates who were interested in seeing Australian-built submarines (an ideal political move to use defense projects as a source of employment).

Leading, hybrid projects resulting in ongoing delays and cost reductions were the main estimates from $ 10 billion to $ 89.7 billion. Recently, incumbent Prime Minister Scott Morrison – who canceled the deal – revealed that প্রকল্প 2.4 billion (US $ 1.7 billion) had already sunk into the project before construction could begin.

French ministers reacted angrily, accusing Australia and the United States of “stabbing in the back” and withdrawing their ambassadors from Canberra and Washington DC.

Negotiations on a trade agreement between the European Union and Australia have also been postponed.

“The reality is that the French should have seen this coming. They should have seen the fact that the submarines they sold to the Australians under the previous government were not working, ”Copley said. “We will not see this new French-designed submarine in Australian service for at least 20 years.”

Read Also:  'China is its own biggest enemy': French report gives panoramic view of Beijing's push for global influence

“Economically, politically or strategically it is totally unacceptable because we don’t know what the strategic environment will be like in 20 years,” he said. “And the French were adamant even knowing that it was a massive theft of money from Australian taxpayers that did not exist for a single product.”

Australia awarded a key contract in April 2011 to French contractor DCNS to design and build its next-generation submarine to replace its existing Colin-class fleet.  The new submarines will be from France, the conventional-powered version of the 700-ton nuclear-powered barracuda.  (Peter Parks / AFP / Getty Images)
HMAS Waller (SSG) 5 of the Royal Australian Navy, a Collins-class diesel-electric submarine, was spotted at Sydney Harbor on November 2, 201. (Peter Parks / AFP / Getty Images)

He noted that the French were not the only ones responsible, as Turnbull, former defense minister Christopher Pine and top Australian naval officials supported the program.

“The French should have been busy cutting off their wrists to apologize for trying to steal so much money from Australia,” Copley said.

“But the work has been done, and now Australia is entering a new era, and so are Britain and the United States.”

The AUKUS agreement will not only see the US and UK governments help Australia acquire nuclear-powered submarines – a move that will significantly change the balance of power in the Indo-Pacific Ocean – it will increase cooperation in cyber, artificial intelligence, quantum technology, and quantum technology. Power.

The U.S. and UK military will look to deploy more troops and troops permanently to Australia.

Kopley noted that a nuclear industry was likely to emerge after the acquisition of submarines, but said the discussion of nuclear weapons was wrong.

“20 nuclear weaponsM For centuries they have been adopted by new technology. If other weapons could make these strategic missions more effective, we would not have to spend so heavily on nuclear weapons, let alone maintain them, ”he said.

“Other weapons are built around cyber and space-based weapons, and to some extent kinetic energy, such as hypersonic weapons – where you can use the dynamic effects of non-nuclear weapons to find key targets. The reality is that very few wars have been won by destroying large urban populations.

Daniel Y. Teng

Follow

.

This News Originally From – The Epoch Times

World Nation News Deskhttps://www.worldnationnews.com
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply