Public Ministry authorities reported that they sent a team of prosecutors to conduct on-site monitoring of the trial of former president Juan Orlando Hernández in New York.
Given the importance of this trial and the information that will be obtained throughout its development, the attorney general of the republic, after a sworn statement from the officials, formed a group of prosecutors to attend the hearings in the Federal Court where it occurs.
The Office of the Attorney General of the Republic informs the people of Honduras of the following:
1. Next Monday, February 12, the trial against former president Juan Orlando Hernández Alvarado will begin in New York City, United States, accused of the crimes of drug trafficking and arms trafficking. He also participated in a conspiracy by corrupt and violent drug trafficking organizations to facilitate the importation of hundreds of thousands of kilos of cocaine into the United States and allegedly received millions of dollars to use his public, law enforcement, and military offices to support drug trafficking organizations in Honduras, Mexico, and other places.
2. Due to the importance of this trial and the information that will gather its entire development, the Attorney General of the Republic, after a sworn statement from the officials, formed a group of prosecutors to attend the hearings in court. In the federal area where the case takes place, in order to provide immediate details, the higher authorities of the Public Ministry have been informed to give high priority to new investigations or to expand the existing lines regarding the cases of organized crime and drug trafficking.
3. The team that will attend the trial has been sworn in by the Attorney General and is made up of members of the Attorney General’s Office, the Special Prosecutor’s Office against Organized Crime (FESCCO), the Fiscal Unit to Support the Police Purification Process (UF-ADPOL), and the Directorate of Fight Against Drug Trafficking (DLCN).
4. With the information received from the Court of the Southern District of New York, another group of prosecutors, investigators, and expert analysts are here in Honduras to process the data to proceed, if the case warrants it, against those persons, companies, or groups mentioned during the development of the test.
5. The Public Mystery reiterates that it acts responsibly and strongly against crime wherever it is found, without any reflection, at the same time that we guarantee impunity.