Monday, December 11, 2023

This is how the best prawns in Spain are grown in Medina del Campo

Knowing that the best prawns in Spain come from Medina del Campo has attracted a lot of attention. 15 years of raising oysters in the Castilian lands, in the province of Valladolid, 150 kilometers from Madrid, and in a strategic point for product distribution.

This is Norway, the company that produces 50 tons of prawns every year. 20% of it is used in Spain and the remaining 80% is exported to Portugal, France, Norway, Austria, and Germany. In two modalities raw or frozen. Collected 48 before the distribution, they were killed by thermal shock on demand.

This is a new idea created by a Norwegian: Bjorn Aspheim. They chose Castilla y León for logistics. Setting up a farm means bringing a new project to Spain, in addition to receiving help for the idea, details that are decisive at the start of the project.

This is the process

It is a unique aquaculture system in the world that reproduces shrimp in salt water. The process takes three months (they grow between 1 and 1.5 centimeters per week).

First, the reproductives are raised, and the eggs are produced, that is when the first stage of the shrimp occurs, the postlarvae grow, which takes the form of a shrimp in just 12 days. And from postlarvae until they reach a commercial size, two months later. They are completely Spanish prawns, that is, born and raised in Spain. Originally the worms came from the United States. Noray increases the shrimp’Norwayural habitat. These are tanks that are partially buried in the ground to take advantage of the heat of the ground. They follow the process of reconditioning, treating ,and recycling water so that less water is used and zero waste is used. In this way, successive cycles are created and production is guaranteed throughout the year. The result is a natural shrimp, without added sulfites or antibiotics. Of course there is no anisakis. Each, specimen weighs about 25 grams. They are purged and free of intestinal waste. Their taste is slightly different, they are crunchier and ideal for sushi.

The only farm in Spain

It is the only indoor farm of its kind operating in Spain. This is an indoor farm (with a roof and walls) so they can achieve a biosafety barrier. It has 24 conditioned tanks distributed in several warehouses. More than 7,000 meters meet salinity, temperature ,and nutrients. They are immersed in the project of increasing the number of vessels to cover all stages of shrimp growth well.

Medina del Campo

Currently, the company is made up of 40 people, of which 33 are from Medina del Campo. For Valladolid, this prawn company is one of the references in the region.

Where are they sold?

Noray was recognized in September as the Tierra de Sabor quality brand of Castilla y León. You can find Carrefour hypermarkets in Castilla y León, Plaza Supermarket in Madrid, and La Sirena in Madrid and Barcelona. Also on the brand’s website.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Desk
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news