VICTORIA. The death toll from devastating mudflows in British Columbia rose to four on Saturday after police found three more bodies in one particularly hard-hit area in the southern province of the province.
The RCMP announced its recovery in a morning statement, although it noted that the bodies of three men were found earlier this week.
The Mounties said the men were found in the area east of Agassiz along Highway 7 and a section of Highway 99 known as Duffy Lake Road.
The discovery came a few days after a woman’s body was found near the same site on Monday.
The search for the fifth person who disappeared after the mudflows has been suspended, although this person is not currently listed among the dead.
“All current search work has been exhausted and discussions are underway about how and when it is best to proceed,” said the staff sergeant. Janel Shoikhet said in a statement.
The British Columbia Coroners Service has issued a statement saying that it is investigating deaths and, if possible, will make recommendations to prevent similar situations in the future.
“It has been an incredibly difficult year for all of us in British Columbia, and I am truly grateful to the many families and communities that have suffered tragic losses,” said Chief Coroner Lisa Lappoint.
The death toll is on the rise as the region continues to work to repair flood and landslide damage across much of the province.
British Columbia’s Secretary of Public Safety announced gas restrictions on Friday, limiting non-mainstream residents to 30 liters of fuel per gas station visit.
Mike Farnworth said the rationing extends to British Columbia’s Lower Mainland, sea-to-sky region, Sunshine Coast, Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. This comes after supply lines, including major highways and railroad tracks, were eroded or flooded by record rainfall that began last weekend.
“I hope everyone understands the need for these restrictions and fully cooperates. In other words, if you don’t need to travel now, don’t. To stay home. And if you can’t do it, take advantage of the vehicle fleet, use public transport or work from home, ”he said.
Highways 3, 7 and 99 have also been restricted to ensure passage of only major vehicles.
Farnworth said about 14,000 people still did not leave their homes on Friday and about 4,700 checked into evacuation centers.
The minister was supposed to provide additional information on Saturday afternoon.