Physical exercise is a very important healthy habit, as it provides many physical, mental and social benefits. For this reason, our Pediatricians insist on making this routine right from childhood, suited to the age of the child. This way it is more likely to maintain the same pattern into adulthood.
Learn about the positive effects of exercise on children, how children should play sports and how we can instil a passion for practicing sports in our children.
Benefits of sports in childhood
Physical exercise is good for health in general, for the development of motor skills and sociability. In the Kenko project, Quirónsalud’s specialized pediatrics website, our pediatricians also point to other Positive effects of sports in childhood,
- increase muscle mass
- Helps in reducing body fat and hence prevents childhood obesity
- Promotes coordination and balance
- Increases self-esteem and helps manage emotions
- Helps in maintaining the habit of sports as you grow up
- improves academic performance
- Instills a sense of responsibility and other values, such as teamwork and discipline
- encourage self-care
which is the best game for kids
Our pediatricians insist that There’s no game better than the otherAnd that it is best for kids to try different sports activities in the beginning.
Later, they can choose the sport that suits them best and that best suits their characteristics. must keep in mind he is stimulating, so that they can continue practicing it, and have a good time. It is also advisable to choose a more individual sport and another that favors teamwork.
In conclusion, it should be added that, in case of chronic diseases, it is advisable to consult a specialist if a sport is contraindicated.
How much time should be given for physical exercise
we should reserve at least one hour a day To engage in vigorous aerobic physical activity, which includes exercises that support bone and muscle health, as well as improve flexibility.
Our pediatricians tell us that school play during the school day is not enough to meet the needs of the child population. For this reason, it is convenient to supplement it with other sports activities outside school hours, and also, daily, running, playing outside and climbing stairs so that they are seated for as little time as possible.
How to inculcate the habit of sports in your kids?
Currently, the use of electronic devices is displacing the time devoted to physical activities, increasing the sedentary lifestyle among the child population and, consequently, increasing the risk of developing overweight and obesity.
Therefore, it is very important to inculcate the habit of exercise to the little ones. There are a few keys to motivating them:
- spend less time on screen, such as television, video games or mobile phones. Instead, we’re going to play outside to take advantage of that.
- Establish the importance of play by being an example to children, If they see that their parents play sports, they will be more susceptible to engaging in the habit.
- Play sports as a family. There are a variety of physical activities that can be practiced together, such as basketball or cycling.