Saturday, February 24, 2024

Venezuelan regime issues 14 arrest warrants against civilians and former military personnel

The Attorney General of Venezuela, Tarek William Saab, announced this Monday that 14 arrest warrants have been issued against civilians and former military personnel for allegedly participating in conspiracies against ruler Nicolás Maduro, Reuters reported.

Saab said he requested the court issue an arrest warrant against those involved in the conspiracies on January 19.

“The five conspiracies that have been revealed, the five schemes that I would like to describe as a conspiracy, have been going on from May until now, and all of them, as I explained, have been prosecuted so that in the end there will be an absolute final sentence that has the maximum penalty,” Reuters quoted Saab as saying.

He added that because of the conspiracies that took place since last year, there are 32 people, including military and civilians, who have been detained, without giving further details.

According to a statement from the Public Ministry of Venezuela quoted by AFP, the detainees included five alleged “conspiracies” to kill Maduro with the support of the United States.

In a press statement, Saab assured that “all those detained were convicted, confessed, and revealed information about the plans against the majority of Venezuelans.” democratic society.

“There are no legal, juridical contemplations against any of these subjects,” he added.

For the alleged final conspiracy, from the end of 2023, the prosecution mentioned a warrant of arrest against human rights activist Tamara Sujú and journalist Sebastiana Barráez.

Sujú and Barráez live abroad. On social networks, Sujú said that “the prosecutor continues to criminalize the work of lawyers and human rights defenders.”

In his annual message to the National Assembly on January 15, Nicolás Maduro assured that between May and December, the conspiracies were dismantled against him and his officers.

According to Maduro, the conspiracies had the purpose of killing him and the Minister of Defense, Vladimir Padrino.

The Ministry of Defense announced in a statement that professionals from the armed forces were involved in the alleged conspiracy activities but did not specify the number.

“We have zero tolerance for unscrupulous traitors, so we are asking our Commander in Chief for his immediate degradation and expulsion from the FANB (Bolivarian National Armed Forces), Padrino said.

Maduro, who has emerged as Chavismo’s natural candidate for the 2024 presidential election, has often criticized plans to topple him. Those responsible are the constant opposition in Venezuela, the United States, and Colombian drug traffickers

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news