The return of the press secretary of the Cuban regime, Humberto Lopez, to the Cuban TV news program Zvezda. last Friday, August 12 left more questions than answers. This is in view of the fact that the information presented there is full of dark areas.
The purpose of the journalist’s television commentary that with great persistence he has served state security in attacking and discrediting independent civil society groups that the regime has made a priority target since 2020 (namely the San Ysidro Movement, 27N and the Archipelago platform), condemned the attack with a Molotov cocktail on a store in Havana.
According to also a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party since April 2021, Two people fired an improvised incendiary device at a Caribe store in the Lawton area.in the Havana municipality of Diez de Octubre.
But the real purpose of the TV commentary was not to report facts., if we take into account that Lopez singled out two points in his story. First: a millimetric description of every step the alleged aggressors took between the scene of the attack and the detention, “in less than an hour,” he stressed. Two: alleged organization of the attack from abroad and “youtubers” whose identity he did not specify.
One of the incendiary launchers lives in the US and has traveled to the island 20 times since 2015, Lopez said. This was enough for him to organize and pay for such actions by figures who, through social networks, call on Cubans to demonstrate against the regime.
The images Lopez showed did not show the damage to the attacked store, but rather the aftermath of a similar attack on the archives of the People’s Court of the municipality of Centro Habana.which was condemned by the authorities over the weekend and was reported by independent media earlier this month.
Among so many testimonies, the press secretary did not even begin to reveal the identity of the detainees or show the number of the car they were using. He also did not explain why the alleged perpetrators only had one bottle ready to commit the crime, and so they had to stop a few blocks away to make more Molotov cocktails, he said.
The journalist, who has the most information about the state security of the regime, paid maximum attention to ensuring that the apparatus of surveillance and repression for which he works “knows everything.”
“We, I’ll be honest, we have a lot more information,” Lopez said near the end of his speech. “Information linking individuals in Cuba to terrorists abroad.”
And he elaborated, “I’m going to give you an example: I met somebody. This someone has been talking for months, months with one of those YouTubers that we saw there. We have messages, we have calls, we have actions that were indicated from abroad, we have receipts for paying cards, what he received for each of the actions.
“Moreover, I was with him once when he was contacted. With his consent, we filmed him while he followed instructions. the place where we were. We lied to him all the time (…) and, finally, the page of one of them from abroad published the action and transferred the money to the card of the one who was with me, ”he proudly concluded.
At this point, Lopez’s story raises a huge question: what if everything he told us was, like him and his supposed friend, a stage play? What if the attack on the store came from the same bag as the stoning of hospitals, which the regime condemned during 11J to criminalize peaceful protests, and of which we have never seen evidence? What if we were faced with another action, invented by the State Security itself as the most routine false flag operation to divert attention from a larger problem?
This problem, which Humberto López didn’t mention, is the increase in Cuban violence against government facilities. In just ten days, officials acknowledged the fire and sabotage against two ranches, one in Holguin and the other in Pinar del Río, and against the aforementioned archive.
And the last question: What if Humberto López’s cinematic story is nothing more than a smokescreen defining the narrative that best suits the regime? In other words: the fires and deliberate attacks, the anti-regime posters that appear daily in public places, the cacerolazo every night in dozens of cities are not the result of Cubans getting fed up with the authorities, but simple and pure manipulation carried out by “unscrupulous elements” living abroad. .
The Cuban regime has always sought to deprive the people of the ability to act sovereignly. When they take to the streets, it is because they are driven by despair (provoked, of course, by “plans of foreign domination”); pure and simple ambition (“they are paid agents in the service of power”); or deceit.
This is indicated by a text published by another representative and official of the Cuban regime, Iroel Sanchez, on the Arab channel Al Mayadeen on Tuesday. Referring to events reported on television, López says: “The truth is that, as always, the support for such terrorist acts in Cuba is so great that people have to pay and send them from abroad to carry them out, and no . no matter how much money and enthusiasm is spent, always coming from the treasury of Uncle Sam, Havana and the island as a whole continue to demonstrate a calm and security that Miami itself and most Latin American cities can envy.
Unfortunately for Sanchez and Lopez, every night the streets of Cuba show the opposite, and not a single official media talks about it. because to admit that the people drew strength from their desperation to rebel, or worse, that the regime’s repression of its people became a boomerang, would be to admit its failure confuse, intimidate and silence.