“The only certainty in life is death,” says an old saying and there is no doubt that, although its arrival is inevitable, it is always difficult to let loved ones leave it. plane. Among our most intimate feelings are our family, friends, and, for many people, their tamed animals. For these little animals, with whom they shared their days, in a moment it was time to leave; therefore they are also honored and have a very important place in the celebrations for the Day of the Dead, They also have a special date called Pet Day of the Dead.
When these dates arrive, more and more people make altars to wait for the visit of their pets, be it dogs, cats, turtles, rabbits, or any other animal. In this note, we will tell you the schedule in which the souls of dead animals go to the house of their owners and other information about this festival.
When is the DAY OF THE DEAD for Pets celebrated?
Although there is no official date for Pet’s Day the Various associations in favor of animals have established that Friday, October 27.
What time do deceased pets visit their families?
On this date, many people-according to tradition-wait for the arrival of the souls of their dead pets on the night of October 27 and in the early hours of the 28th of the same month, so preparations are made with altars. which includes photos in honor of deceased animals, their favorite toys, their clothes, and the foods they enjoyed the most, among other things.
Why are pet altars placed for the Day of the Dead?
In some parts of Peru and the world, altars are placed during the celebration of the Day of the Dead to receive loved ones who, according to different traditions, visit their living relatives on this date. Photos of the loved one are placed in it, as well as flowers, favorite foods of the person being honored, and some festive elements that can be pleasing.
Altar of the dead for pets: when are the candles lit?
You can light a candle for a few minutes or all night. According to tradition, in this way, the path of the pets is marked so that they can reach their home, where they can “visit” their loved ones and enjoy the offering they have placed.
How to make an offering for pets and what does it mean?
You can use many different things that you can put in the offering for your pet and each element has its meaning:
- A photo of your deceased pet.
- Your favorite food, such as cookies, chicken, fish, etc.
- Water to quench your thirst.
- Candles and nightstands so your pets can guide themselves home.
- Papel Picado: the altar can be decorated with silk and satin fabrics.
- Go so that his body does not rot when he returns home.
- CopaI and incense to cleanse the area of evil spirits.
- Skulls: it can be done with sugar.
- Cempasúchil flowers: their wonderful aroma will help guide the souls of your pets to the offered banquet.
Schedule for the arrival of souls on the Day of the Dead
- October 27: the souls of the pets arrived.
- October 28: Souls who died due to an accident, violent or sudden death arrived.
- October 29: the souls of the drowned arrive.
- October 30: Forgotten or familyless souls arrive.
- October 31: the souls of those who have not yet been born or are in limbo arrive.
- November 1: the souls of those under 12 years old arrive.
- November 2: All mature souls arrive.