WhatsApp is implementing so-called ‘Companion Mode’ on iOS phones, which allows two mobile phones to be linked so that the same account can be used on both devices simultaneously.
The messaging platform released the feature in November 2022, though it was initially available only to a limited number of beta tester users as the feature was still under development.
‘Companion Mode’ arrived on Android in early April, so it was possible to access it to use WhatsApp on two phones at the same time if you had the latest application update for this operating system.
Once the account is linked to the secondary device, you can access chats and send and receive messages without the main ‘smartphone’ being connected to the internet. Likewise, chat history is automatically synchronized, maintaining the Common End-to-End Encryption System (E2EE, for its abbreviation in English).
This modality is also reaching iOS devices, as WABetaInfo has rolled out the latest updates for WhatsApp for iOS 23.10.76 and 184.108.40.206 through the TestFlight program, which can now be downloaded from the App Store.
This version indicates some of the changes implemented, such as the GIF autoplay function, as well as the option for users to link their devices to an existing account, which would require scanning a QR code, making it the same as compared to Android. process. terminal.
WABetaInfo pointed out that, as they’ve qualified on Twitter, synchronization with Android phones as well as iPhones is supported—there are functionalities that aren’t yet available, such as managing transmission lists and publishing updates. Ability to status from paired device.
How to activate and use the new “Partner Mode”?
It is worth reiterating that Companion Mode is a feature that remains exclusive to the WhatsApp beta version on Android devices, and hence can only be used by beta tester users.
To use this function it will be necessary to apply the following steps:
- install whatsapp beta on another phone
- Duplicate the WhatsApp app on the cell phone where the account will be synchronized, for this you can use the “Dual Messenger” tool
- Access the WhatsApp Copy function, select a language and click “Accept and Continue”.
- The screen will request to register a phone number to create an account, but then you have to press the three-dot button that appears on the screen
- Select the “Pair a Device” option
- A QR code will appear on the phone.
- Open WhatsApp account on main phone.
- Touch the icon with the three dots to access the ‘Paired device’ option and select the ‘Pair a device’ function.
- At that point, the computer’s camera will be enabled to scan the QR code that appears on the other device
- After a few seconds, the chat history will be synchronized and users will be able to chat with their contacts from two phones simultaneously and without any problems.
However, it should be kept in mind that currently only two phones can be linked to a single WhatsApp account and all messages will be protected by the end-to-end encryption security system that the application manages.
In the same way, while the session is open on the secondary cell phone, it will also be possible to use another WhatsApp account on that phone, thanks to the “Dual Messenger” tool, which allows you to duplicate applications such as messaging. App on phone Android.
With information from Europa Press